07 February 2014

Norris and baby booties

.

Knitting is a peculiarly satisfying hobby in my stage of life--a stage of life when there is nothing I do that looks like it accomplishes anything. I wash the dishes, then turn around to see all the lunch dishes sitting on the table. So I fill up the sink with dirty dishes again. I manage to do enough laundry to see the laundry room floor only to clean the boys' room and come up with several more loads. We train, train, train, our toddlers, and still they throw tantrums and disobey and snatch things from each other and are generally, well, human. Anyway, it's just all those sorts of things that make it very difficult to ever feel that anything is accomplished or finished.

But knitting-- it's satisfying to me because I can see my progress and when it's finished, i've made something. Something useful and pretty. Those booties up there are for my forthcoming niece. They have yet to be seamed, obviously.

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand. I tell my husband all the time that I feel i fail him as a wife and his response always is: "Are our children well cared for? Then forget the laundry and dishes." Knitting, does offer a chance to feel accomplished though which is why I too knit. Hang in there the work we put in to our children will pay off, and there will always be dishes and laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can very much relate to this! It's so satisfying to make sth lasting inbetween those everyday chores, all those things that get dirty again or eaten up in ten minutes :-) and your booties look soooooo cozy! Lena

    ReplyDelete